Jobs for the boys!
- Re-decorate Room 8, top to bottom.
- New bathroom for Room 18.
- Re-decorate Room 10
- Enlarge the car park, marked bays, new lighting, new walls, a bit of plantation fencing and a back breaking amount of fresh gravel. That should shift the Christmas turkey.
Re-decorating the Gold Lounge, upgrading bathrooms, extending kitchen garden, new coffee machine.
- We have taken the kitchen apart and cleaned everything but the kitchen sink, which we leave to last. The lounges, dining rooms & hall have been spring-cleaned and Christmas has been and gone.
- In January we made marmalade, and started upon a rather momentous event in the history of Clare House a revamp of the ‘Gold Lounge’. The ‘Gold Lounge’ acquired its name in the early 70‘s, when the then new gold carpet was laid and the walls papered. Would you believe it’s the same paper and carpet! In mothers eyes it was ‘untouchable’, “I like it” her words. Well after 45yrs its reached the top of the ‘to do’ list! Fear not, we have left the paper where it is, and panelled over it! A time capsule for future generations. The tiled 50’s fire surround has come out, to be replaced by a wooden surround. New carpet, curtains & furniture complete the job. I wonder if it will last another 40yrs?
- The good work started on our small kitchen garden continues with a little expansion towards the railway line.
- New loo’s and semi counter top sinks in the new wing bathrooms, a lick of paint where needed.
- And a new coffee machine that makes latte, capuccino, espresso, mocha and a whole lot more.
Gold Lounge taking shape. Carpet up, revealing original lino around the edges of the room. Aart & Japp having early lunch.
Re-decorating the hall, making over rooms 1 & 6; & building new balconies.
Work started in earnest on Jan 4th, Andrew making marmalade and Mark emptying the hall and landing in preparation for some serious meddling. We lifted the dark green carpet and exposed the tile floor in the hall, applied some panelling to the second floor stairs and landing, papered and painted throughout, and finished it off with a striped stair carpet. We built new balconies making them larger and finishing off with glass balustrading with privacy glass inbetween each room.